Now if you know anything about muffulettas, they tend to be high in fat and sodium, so in an effort to make healthier meals for the family, I tweaked the Southern Living recipe and various others off the internet to fit our needs. Was it the healthiest? No. But how can it be too health when you are talking salami, 2 kinds of cheeses, and ham?
Anyways on to the recipe:
For 1 sandwich:
1 slice of provolone cheese
1 slice of Swiss low fat
1 slice of low sodium ham
1 slice of Genoa salami (not sure if this come low fat)
2 tablespoons of Spanish green olives with pimentos
1 tablespoon of black olives
1 tablespoon of an olive oil and vinegar mix (I used Newman's Own)
2 slices of Italian or sourdough bread
I pulsed the olives until I got a fine chop, about half way through I streamed in the dressing. Toast your bread lightly, my setting was at a 2. Put your olive mixture on one side, layer Swiss, salami, provolone, and ham, top with remaining piece of bread.
I'm telling you, so simple and easy and you can do a ton of variations on it. Add pickled veggies, spicy mustard, I saw a green olive mix with jalapenos that we may try next.
I made Andy and I a sandwich and then he requested another. He loved them and coming from the muffuletta know it all, I was happy.
0 comments:
Post a Comment