Friday, May 1, 2009

Don't bother changing the sheets, I'll be back

We made it to our first goal, 24 weeks, viability for the babies outside the womb!!

However..........

Visit number 6 to Labor & Delivery occurred yesterday evening. I had been having contractions every 5 minutes from noon to after we got to the hospital at 315. We were in the same room as last saturday, so I told them just to change to the room number from #2 to Lisa Wilson's room and not to bother changing the sheets since we would probably be back at some point. Anyways we got hooked up to all the monitors, both babies sounded great, but momma was having some issues with contractions. Our OB happened to be the one on call and he came by before going off duty to check on us, he had them do a Fetal Fibronectin test that tests for a certain protein that if present shows that we could possibly go into labor within the next 2 weeks. If it is negative and it is not present, then I have a more than 99% chance of NOT going into labor for the next 2 weeks, luckily ours was negative. Everything else was still closed and tight, so the contractions were not causing me to dialate so we got a shot of Terbutaline to calm everything down. It made my heart race and made me very shakey that I'm still experiencing some still this morning and I have a bruise about the size of a half dollar on the back of my arm from it. But the contractions calmed down enough to send me home after 3 hours, the OB said this is something that we are going to have to deal with for the rest of the pregnancy and just to expect to get more shots to calm the uterus.

The main concern is keeping the babies in there until at least 34 weeks, after that he will stop all attempts to stop preterm labor and just let it happen on its own. So 10 more weeks of this and then I'm fair game, lol. For now though we are to take it easy and drink lots and lots of water. Ah the joys of pregnancy and some people wonder why this is it for us.........

0 comments: