Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Update on Jake

Went to the doctor, they have diagnosed it as a Subchorionic hematoma, which is a spot on the placenta, about the size of a nickel that has bleed, usually caused by a burst blood vessel. It is considered a placenta abruption, but rather than it being on the end of the placenta, it is in the middle. The ultrasound showed that the placenta was not "flapping in the wind", tech's words, which is what would be expected if it was a true abruption. Hopefully the hematoma will dissolve on its own, usually by 20 weeks, and Jake will be none the wiser. He was not having any stress and heart rates for Addy and Jake were good, the doctor said if we could go a couple of weeks with no bleeding then it was a good thing and were probably in the safe zone. He did say that it could stick around until delivery and not cause any harm as long as it did not get too big, which right now it is small compared to the size of the placenta. The only other outcome is if the bleeding continues then it can lead to a miscarriage, there's still nothing they can do for the hematoma, just a wait and see. He did say that he has had patients that bleed the whole pregnancy and were fine, but he had a patient with twins that had to deliver at 20 weeks because of it. So it can still go either way, but appears that odds are a little more in favor of us, but it will be a stressful next couple of weeks. If I have another episode of red bleeding then I go back to the doctor or ER if its at night, but I'll see him at 20 weeks on April 3rd. He did take me off of bed rest, but still on pelvic rest, however after talking with my own personal doctor, Dr. Andy, he has ordered bed rest for the rest of the week but will let me get up and walk to the kitchen or sit on the couch. Hopefully the drill sergeant of a husband won't yell at me for walking to kitchen now. The OB doctor said that bed rest wont stop a miscarriage and that if its going to happen it will happen so that's why he took me off of it. The doctor did ask if I was feeling them move yet, I can feel her pretty constantly, he's a lot calmer and more active in the morning, the doctor said most women can't feel it at 15/16 weeks but with 2 babies I have double the chance so he seemed glad that I could feel them. And while she likes to inflict pain on my side, its very comforting knowing that I'm not imagining it. So its not as bad as the ER made it out to be but something still worth watching, I found out a lot on Google about it and that answered any questions I had thought of on the drive home. So for now we are back in bed, the dogs are curled up on the bed with me and occasionally get down to bark at the guys building the houses behind us.

1 comments:

TexasCoy said...

Sounds like the appointment went as well as it could! I hope you have lots of uneventful pregnant days in your future!