Monday, October 3, 2011

Turkey shirt

Pinterest has added so many things to my DIY list.

I saw on there a turkey machine applique using ribbon for the feathers. Well because I am cheap and refuse to buy the pattern, I decided to make my own. I had all the supplies on hand so I had to go shopping for nothing, always a plus!

I cut 8 strips of fall colored ribbon 5-6" and arranged them like I liked. I then used a salon clip to hold them in place while I put a couple of stitches in to keep them from shifting.

I free handed a turkey shape on to fabric and cut it out. Because I had no brown fabric I went with this plaid, cut it out and didn't like it. So I went digging in the kids out grown clothes and came across a brown knit jumper and re-cut the turkey.
I put a little bit of spray adhesive on on the ribbon where they all overlapped just to hold it in place until I could sew it. I hand sewed some eyes and the nose on the brown fabric and when spray adhesive that to the shirt.
I zig-zagged around the larger part of the body and then just a straight stitch around the head and the ribbon.
It was so simple and easy to make, the most time consuming part was the nose and eyes. All in all, 30mins, no pattern.

Now I need to design a boys turkey shirt for Jake and I think I know what I'm going to do.

0 comments: