Wednesday, December 2, 2009

You called my daughter what?!?!

Let me preface this by saying, I think doctors are great, I very rarely have a bad experience, but today's visit to the doctor really bothered me.

Addy has had a cough for a few weeks, that combined with a low grade fever and irritability had me taking her to the doctor's office this afternoon to make sure it wasn't turning into something worse than a cold. Because it was a last minute appointment, we saw a doctor that was in his 60's(old man set in his ways) that Addy saw 2 days after being discharged (I didn't like him then either since he was condescending on the fact that I was pumping and not breast feeding, whole other story).

After checking her out and telling us that both kids had mild colds, he informs me that if she was an adult, her BMI would have her as obese and that we need to cut back on her food. EXCUSE ME?!?! I know you are not calling my 4 month old, fat! I know you have a fancy degree and all, but this is my daughter and if she is still hungry, I'll be damn is you are going to tell me not to feed her. He then goes on to tell me that solids need to be introduced in a yellow before green, veggies, before fruits, etc. Introducing yellows before greens, etc. are old wives tales and it constantly changes, just like the whole back to sleep/front to sleep. I love our pedi. that we see normally, he said to ignore all of it and start in what ever order we wanted as long as it was stage 1. I did research starting solids 4months vs. 6 months, and the pros of starting at 4 months far out weighed the cons when it came to dealing with their reflux. I chalk up the comments on the solids to the fact that he is not their regular doctor and knows nothing about them. Next time we have a last minute appointment, I will be requesting someone else in the practice.

Andy was quite surprised when I kept my cool since I'm known to let my mouth run at times. I just smiled and nodded, thinking whatever dude. Andy even asked as we got in the car, "are you going to listen to him," my response, "nope". Their regular pediatrician is not concerned by her weight, he even told us that at 4-6 months babies will chunk up and that she should slim down once she starts crawling. And the evil doctor even said that Jake was the perfect size! HELLO? The child that is barely on the growth charts? Even if Jake was at 30-70% I would think ok, but hello?! Look at his chart! Jeez.

I know Addy is chunk, but she is a healthy, happy baby and anyone who says otherwise, can kiss my butt. Both kids eat the same amount of food, its called different metabolisms. Just because they are twins does not mean they will weigh/look the same. Speaking of which, stop pinching her cheeks.

Oh and to the mom in the waiting room, telling your daughter to go look at the babies, we wouldn't mind? We are sitting in a doctors office, sick kids everywhere and you are encouraging your 3 year old to come see strangers that are sitting across the waiting room? Seriously, I know people think twins are cute and all, but just because there are 2 babies, does not give you free will to stare, point, and/or try to touch (I will slap your hand stranger).

All right rant over.

3 comments:

TexasCoy said...

OMG that is rediculous!! Seriously, you hit the nail on the head that once they get mobile they automatically slim down.

What a cranky old grinch!

Annie said...

What kind of doctor he is? Most of the kids are like Abby when are little because they don't are active (crawl, walk, run) is normal. When my girls were little we had the same problem with one of them.

Hang in there, you are great Mommy and know what is the best for your babies.

Liz said...

I can't believe that doctor. Just ignore him & listen to your regular doctor. You are a wonderful mother & know what you're doing. I don't think I could've kept my mouth shut...actually I know I wouldn't. Hang in there, the kids look great.